Brian LePort posted yesterday asking about everyone’s favorite and most disliked Christmas hymns. Well, since I’m obviously not as pious and holy as Brian, I thought I’d post some of my favorite Christmas and seasonal favorites.
Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (you know, the house with the lights synced with the music?)
O Come Emmanuel by Folk Angel (popularized by A Social Network Christmas) and the instrumental version by August Burns Red
For those who don’t know, August Burns Red has for the last few years released a version of popular Christmas songs that have been run through the ABR filter. My favorite of these is their version of Carol of the Bells. They’ve also done renditions of Little Drummer Boy and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (which is quite good, especially the dual guitars toward the end).
I also love O Holy Night and this version by Andrea Bocelli is simply magnificent (it’s Bocelli–should we expect anything else? And, it’s sung in French)!
Oh, how could I not include You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch?!?
I could name others, but these are some of my favorites. What about you–what do you like?
Αυτω η δοξα
No, not according to Rolling Stone or Billboard, but according to my iTunes 25 Most Played. They are
- The Reckoning (How Long) by Andrew Peterson
- On Impulse by Animals as Leaders
- Pangea by As They Sleep
- Anthem of the Angels by Breaking Benjamin
- Sailing to Philadelphia by Mark Knopfler
- Desolate Earth: The End is Here by Underoath
- I’d Be Lying - Greg Laswell
- Driving Nails by Demon Hunter
- Marianas Trench by August Burns Red
- A Fault Line. A Fault of Mine by Underoath
There you go!
Αυτω η δοξα,
Ok, so I’m not going to actually review the whole year, but I thought I’d post a few top 5 or 10 lists, as is the custom for media outlets everywhere this time of year.
10 albums I’ve listened to most this year
- Counting Stars by Andrew Peterson
- Self-title by Animals as Leaders
- Constellations by August Burns Red
- Attack of the Wolf King by Haste the Day
- Meridional by Norma Jean
- Son of the Morning by Oh, Sleeper
- To Plant a Seed by We Came as Romans
- The Infinite Order by Living Sacrifice
- The World is a Thorn by Demon Hunter
- Atonement by Your Memorial
7 Favorite TV shows I watched this year
- Burn Notice
- I Shouldn’t Be Alive
- Border Wars
- Locked Up Abroad
- Man, Woman, Wild
- Dual Survival
(I should mention that House and White Collar would have made the list, but I’m in catch-up mode, so I didn’t include them.)
5 Favorite Restaurants
- Texas Land & Cattle
- Wing Stop
- Twisted Root Burger Company
- Rudy’s BBQ
I didn’t include a favorite movies list because I’ve only seen a couple this year. As for books, the list that we bibliobloggers love to see, I haven’t read that many books this year that were list-worthy. My class readings were ok, but I didn’t read anything that was just spectacular. Perhaps 2011 will yield better results!
Happy New Year everyone!
Αυτω η δοξα,